30 Mar Five tips to help fight off colds and flu this winter
The mornings are quickly becoming crisper and the sun is setting earlier – winter will soon be upon us. Roaring fires, warm blankets, delicious hot chocolate and runny stuffy noses all await. In preparing your body for winter, Carla Yssel Brand manager for Linctagon®, advises building up your immune system a few months before and continuing throughout the season in order to fight colds and flu this winter.
Yssel gives 5 tips that are easily incorporated into you and your family’s daily life to help fight colds and flu this winter.
- Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables. Vegetables are full of vitamins and minerals and therefore should be included in your daily diet to help enhance your immune system during this time. Some fruits and vegetables that are high in Vitamin C are red and green bell peppers, dark leafy green vegetables like kale, kiwi fruit, pineapple, mango, broccoli, strawberries and oranges.
- Sleep, sleep and more sleep. When you sleep your body is able to relax and repair itself from all that you have put it through during the day. Lack of sleep can lead to a drop in your immunity making you more susceptible to colds and flu.
- Wash hands well! Germs can live for hours on objects like door handles, escalators, light switches, toys, etc. Create a strict routine where the whole family washes their hands on coming home, following playtime and before eating. Carrying hand sanitizer or wet wipes in your handbag for when warm water and soap may not be easily accessible is a handy backup.
- We all know that it is difficult to get going on those cold and dark winter mornings but it is important to maintain an exercise routine during the winter months. A moderate level of regular exercise helps to strengthen and support your immune system. A quick 20 minute walk around the neighbourhood in the afternoon before settling in for the night or maybe include a regular family walk on the weekends – the fresh air, exercise and quality time will be great for the whole family.
- Including an immune boosting and maintenance product such as Linctagon® Viral Defence capsules for adults and Linctagon® Viral Defence Junior syrup for children from the age of 1 to aid with immune support. These two products contain active ingredients, such as Vitamin C, which is used to assist in antioxidant protection, and Echinacea which is a herb used to help combat the symptoms associated with colds. These actives have the properties that can help to support the body to fight infection, inflammation, bacteria and free radicals. Include Linctagon® Viral Defence into you and your family’s routine before and during winter to help keep you all at your best.
Keeping healthy through winter can be a challenge for many says Yssel. “Hopefully by following these tips your body will be better equipped to cope.”